We looked at old pictures and new pictures of people we knew - people we know... and it really made it clear how much time has passed. I started to think of the things lost and the things gained in those years... so let's start two lists:
What we have today that we didn’t have 22 years ago:
- Google, Yahoo, Facebook, MySpace.
- WikiPedia, Technorati, Techcrunch.
- Firefox, Safari, YouTube.
- The web.
- Laptops, iPods, flash drives, USB, 250gb hard drives the size of a British cucumber sandwich.
- Digital Cameras (?).
- Cell Phones (well... there was one I saw the size of a microwave oven).
- Windows Vista, XP, NT, 3.1, 2.0.
- Fear of Interns in the Whitehouse.
- Fear of Republicans in the Whitehouse.
- Azerbaijan and many other countries.
- This blog, any blog, the word “blog” (and so many other words!)
- Avaya, Agere, T-Mobile, Netflix
- Brittney, Paris, Lindsay.
- Virgin (Records or Atlantic)
- K-Fed, J-Lo.
- The criminal O.J. Simpson.
- Shoes off at the airport security gate.
- My kids.
What we had 22 years ago that we don’t have anymore:
- The Soviet Union.
- The big 8 accounting firms (Ernst & Whinney, Arthur Young, Arthur Anderson, Peat Marwick Mitchell, Price Waterhouse, Coopers & Lybrand, Delloite Haskins Sells, Touche Ross)
- Wang Laboratories, Typwriters (I'm assuming they're extinct)
- The artist Michael Jackson
- The ex-Football Player OJ Simpson... Nicole Brown, Ronald Goldman
- The artist known as Prince
- Phil Hartman, John Candy, John Belushi, Chris Farley
- Manufacturers Hanover Trust, Chemical Bank, ,
- Floppy drives
- DOS, Windows 1.0 (just barely)
- Almost 3,000 innocent people lost on September 11, 2001, including some friends.
- My Dad.
I could probably go on with this for a while..... but, I gotta get busy with the next 22 years...